I had been waiting for my trip to be over and for things to warm up a little bit around here before I got too excited about horse plans. I usually get super excited about summer shows and events and want to do all the things, but have to rein myself in...
I always struggle with goals and plans for the year, as things can change on the fly with life (sprained ankle?) and with horses. I try not to get too caught up in setting detailed goals (even though I love a good list!), but it does help me to have a bit of a plan, so I know what I'm working towards.
Editor's note: I had hoped to have a nice pic of Fred out working on the laneway here, but instead, a picture of my view of the horses the past two weeks! *sigh*
|Hubby feeding Fred, with Copper hoping he will get hay too and Gypsy the BC supervising.|
So, here are some tentative plans for the horses for this year: I also created an events page (like Emma!) to keep track of all the horse events I'd like to attend/spectate. div> Fred (4)
- slowly increase feed to get him fattened up for a potential show season (he is not an easy keeper like most QH)
- start hand walking so he is ready to start more work if/when ground/grass shows itself again
- work 4-5x per week - lunging, ponying etc
- wear tack like a grown up (as a halter horse, he doesn't *need* to be started in tack, but I want to give him some skills so he has a future after showing)
- learn to long line/ground drive
- maybe attend some AQHA shows (depends on how he looks, growth spurts, etc)
- Stretch goal - attend a trick training clinic - for something fun
- Stretch goal - have him backed
- Stretch goal - earn AQHA halter register of merit (ROM) - we only need a couple of points in the open and maybe 4 in the amateur
- stay healthy and sound
- ride 2-3x week (this will likely back off when it gets super hot)
- take a few lessons
- maybe do a show or two
- pony Fred
- continue being cute!
- keep weight down (I feel your pain, little buddy!)
- try some light work - hand walking or something
- plan and budget for barn improvements - eavestrough, repair some electrical stuff, maybe gravel (a girl can dream) and maybe some new fence posts
- work on personal finances
- work on fitness
- volunteer for 1 club (down from 3!)
- stretch goal: purchase a used ATV to harrow the riding ring!
- stretch goal: attend QH Congress in Ohio in October
- stretch goal: Disneyworld with my Mom and cousin in November