Well, Q3 was a bit of a bust and here were are close to the new year! My goals list pretty much turned into a detailed to-do list, but hey, we learned in 2020 that we have to roll with the punches!
I was thinking of 2021 goals, but not sure I'm ready to put words down for that yet! Anyone else a bit hesitant to plan for 2021?
The most exciting thing for this year is that I rode again. Guys, I actually sat on not one, but two different horses. Woot! My friend leased Ivy this fall and told me point blank one day to "just get on her, you won't die!". I couldn't really argue with her logic, so I jumped on, did about 15 mins w/t type stuff and it was so nice to be in the saddle.
Not only did I ride Ivy, but I got on Fred. Twice! The first time was with my friend holding the leadline. The second time, no lead line, but we didn't do much but stand around. Fred hadn't quite pieced together the cues to move forward under saddle, despite many lead-line sessions, lunging, etc. Oh well, it was still neat to actually get on him and sit there - since he is almost 17hh, it was quite the view from up there!
And guess what? I have not one single picture of me on said horses, hence why I didn't bother blogging about it earlier. #bloggerfail Maybe next year I'll be better at pictures?
- earn Fred's ROM (AQHA register of merit - each time a horse hits 10 points in a discipline/level, you get a certificate) in halter - we need 1.5 points in open and I think 3.5 points in amateur - shelved until 2021 due to covid-19
- show at a different venue/different club (I've shown at the same 2 places for 98% of past shows) - shelved until 2021 due to covid-19
ride again- COMPLETED!!! Sept 2020. I got on Ivy and did some walk/trot! And, I sat on Fred twice!
- attend a clinic of some sort - shelved until 2021 due to covid-19
find a mare for my friend to ride and maybe breed (added Q1)- COMPLETED! W00t!
work as weather permits- we did a fair bit in Q3 - this is the best time of year around here continue under saddle work- COMPLETED
- work on showmanship and in hand trail - maybe show at a schooling show? shelved until 2021 due to covid-19
find a bridle that fits his big head -COMPLETED for now with the world's ugliest bridle, found in a heap of old tack at the volunteer place get him more used to the bit and/or try a hackamore- COMPLETED, I gave up on a hackamore for now
- stay healthy! - Q1 - check! Q2 - check! Q3 - so-so. He has some stifle issues that are affecting his mobility a bit Q4 - he has been on stall rest (to keep Spunky company) and he seems to be moving better.
get her confirmed in foal- Check! 45 day u/s done on 04/01 and all good! Q2 - all good! Q3 - all good! She moved to her maternity barn and her due date is early January! Q4 - all good and we are down to under 30 days - OMG!!!!
- get her weight/body condition up - COMPLETED (and ongoing)! She is responding well to grain and some light work
- get her going under saddle - COMPLETED! She went to a trainer for 2 weeks back in August and although she got hurt, we were still able to get her going better. My friend has been leasing her and riding a decent amount until the cold and dark hit us.
- read 45 books - Q1 was great, Q2 not so much. Q3 - eesh. Might still save it, but I'm ok with letting it go too
back up and organize photos (my computer is dying, so this is urgent!)COMPLETED! volunteer somewhere horse-y- COMPLETED-ish early this year. The therapeutic riding centre is still closed to outsiders due to covid-19 so nothing further for this year. save $$ for foal hopefully coming in 2021- COMPLETED
- exercise program of some sort - ahhahaha!
stick to a budget- COMPLETED, thanks to covid-19
- read/listen to some horse training material - podcasts, youtube, books etc - Q1 - I read lots, Q2, not so much Q3 -spent time doing, not reading, Q4 - considering this COMPLETED
continue to declutter and sell unused tack- COMPLETED
QH Congress (as a spectator) in October(I've missed the past 2 years!) - sadly, I think this will have to be scratched. Attend the Royal Winter Fair in Toronto.Canceled due to Covid. *sigh* use up products that are already in the house/barn (added Q2)- This is kind of completed. I don't buy or use much of this stuff past Q3 as it all freezes!
complete some minor house renos/décor updates- COMPLETED - we got a new used couch, rearranged all the furniture and confused the husband and the pets!!!
- stay on top of yard/flowerbeds/fenceline - fenceline yes, flowerbeds, uh hells no. LOL
- keep barn tidy
clean and organize my hay storage area- DONE Q2
ix and bury fence ground wires- DONE! Q1 check pasture fence and come up with a plan to have fence fixed by mid-MayDONE Q2
ource some 2nd cut hay- DONE Q2
- clean and organize tack - DONE
- repaint jump poles - Deferred to 2021
organize electric fence supplies/spare parts- added and DONE Q2 clean and put away winter blanketsDONE Q2 put away the trough heater and extension cordDONE Q2 clean the tack roomDONE Q2 daydream about tack room renos/updatesDONE - LOL clean cobwebs/windows/shelvesDONE Q2 look into and start a plan/budget for some barn renos - eavestrough, upgrade lighting/wiring and maybe refinish the tack room- Q2 - made a spreadsheet with materials list, pricing